Posted by: Kim | July 7, 2008

Lady Eleanor Stole project summary

Oh, man. I meant to do this post last week, but it’s been a bit crazy here.

Some of you may remember that I wanted to do the Lady Eleanor stole (from Scarf Style) last year, but Dieter needed repair work and the yarn jar money was spent on that pressing need.  Then Little Knits ran a great sale on Noro Silk Garden about a month later that I couldn’t pass up.  Problem solved!

Lady Eleanor Stole

 

Pattern: Lady Eleanor Stole, by Kathleen Power Johnson

Source: Scarf Style, Pam Allen

Yarn: Noro Silk Garden (45% silk, 45% mohair, 10% lambswool) in color 244, total used about 9.5 skeins

Needles used: Addi Turbo circular, US 10.5

Finished size: Approximately 24″ wide by 74″ long

Project start date: March 24, 2008

Project end date: May 21, 2008

Notes: After a lot of surfing of other knitter’s versions of the Lady E on Ravelry, I’d initially set off knitting this project on a US 9 needle.  The US 10.5 seemed to leave a very loose feel to the fabric and many others had switched over to using an 8 or 9.  Why not?  After knitting approximately eight balls, I measured the stole on the floor and decided that it would come out too small (even blocking wouldn’t have gained back the size I wanted).  Also, the fabric felt too stiff to drape the way I envisioned.  Back to the drawing board—I frogged it all and went back to the 10.5 needle.

After all of this entrelac practice, you’d think I could knit it in my sleep!  There are a number of people that felt that learning to knit backward really helped to speed up this process, but I found that I didn’t like it as much.  Even doing it the old-fashioned way, I mananged to re-knit the stole between April 16th and May 11th.

One other change I saw a lot of on Ravelry with this pattern is that people chose to change the fringe to tassles, or just skipped the fringe entirely.  While I didn’t relish the idea of doing the fringe, I felt it was necessary to stick to the pattern on this one, as the diamond shapes in the fringe reflect the entrelac pattern of the stole.  I laid out the stole on the office floor and spent about four hours total tying all of those knots and measuring them to ensure that my rows were even.

All in all, I’m really happy with the stole and now I’m looking forward to using it when the weather turns colder.

Advertisements

Responses

  1. Certainly worth all that time and effort. Looks great

  2. It’s gorgeous Kim..love the fringe

  3. it’s sooooo fancy!
    i love the fringe 🙂

  4. GORGEOUS!!!

  5. Just found your blog and love it. Three of my favorite things – cars, knitting and wine.

    Your Lady E turned out great! I too am knitting the Lady E which I started last year and picked up again recently.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: