Posted by: Kim | April 7, 2008

The Technicolor Dream Afghan

I was going to write about my progress on this afghan when I came out of my blog hibernation, but I spent the last week or so telling you about my winter finished objects and in the meantime, I finished the afghan. So much for real-time updates!

LIZARD RIDGE AFGHAN

Pattern: Lizard Ridge Afghan, by Laura Aylor

Source: Knitty, Fall 2006

Yarn: Noro Kureyon (100% wool) in 24 various colors for body, Cascade 220 (100% wool) in Pacific Heather for border

Needles used: Clover Takumi bamboo straights, US 8, and crochet hook (F/3.75mm)

Finished size: Approximately 44″ wide by 60″ long

Project start date: December 2006 (that is not a typo)

Project end date: April 2008

Notes: This project takes the award of the longest running WIP that I’ve ever truly finished. When I started this long ago, I intended to only do squares as I found good deals on Kureyon, but over the last month, it was really killing me to finish it.

Since I was making the 24 squares, I decided to go with a different color for each one and no real plan for layout. If the skein struck me in some way, I bought it. I also spent a lot of time scouring eBay and online sellers for deals, so I’m happy to say that I probably only paid full price for 3 or 4 balls. The only real challenge with this approach is that I was running out of color choices for awhile (since I didn’t want anything too muted) and luckily some new color releases this winter saved me.

I do have two things to report about the Kureyon itself:

  1. On the good side, the Kureyon is not as scratchy as usual thanks to a little Kookaburra Wool Wash in the 30-minute-long soak during the blocking process.
  2. On the bad side, I got really tired of picking out the grass and junk from the yarn as I knit. I know some people argue that it adds to the “charm” of the yarn, but for cost…well, I think they should at least clean the fiber better.

The pattern itself it quite simple, easy to memorize, and it’s good practice for short row knitting using the wrap and turn method. Even though I hate seaming, the idea of seeing the squares finally together in one piece kept me busy enough to not grouse about the task itself.

Lastly, even though I’m not much of a crocheter, I decided to go with the recommended crochet border called for in the pattern since I think it really complements the wavy shapes in the squares. The border itself was pretty easy, but I still don’t see me switching over to crochet as my hobby of choice any time soon.

All in all, I’m really pleased with this afghan, and I’m looking forward to snuggling up underneath it with a good book and a glass of wine.

Advertisements

Responses

  1. Beautiful Kim. I really should get mine out & finish it now.

  2. How BEAUTIFUL!

  3. Breathtaking – I have coveted that afghan since it came out – yours is gorgeous!

  4. Very nice!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: